Saturday, April 26, 2008

roots before branches

Today I was flipping through the channels on the TV, not something I do very often. I stopped on ABC Family because a phrase on the screen caught my eye - "Roots Before Branches." It made me think (of course! What doesn't? :-)).

Anyway, thinking about family makes me happy, so why not? I love my family. They mean the world to me, and I couldn't thank them enough.

What really surprises me about this phrase is just how true it is. Last year I started emailing back and forth with my eldest brother, someone I had never met before. It might sound weird or crazy, but I immediately saw him as family. Not only because we he has half the same DNA as me, but because of how easy it was to talk to him. I wasn't worried about impressing him, I wasn't worried about him not liking me. All I was worried about was getting to know my half-brother.

It's funny how family can do that to you. No matter what happens, they're there. No matter how long you've known them, they're there. Friends (branches) are definitely important too, but you cant have branches without roots. Roots provide growth, and nutrients. In a sense, that's what family does, too.

I'm proud of my roots.

1 comment:

Emily Dorchak said...

aww. that makes so much sense. no matter how anoying my family is, i still lvoe them, and need them. i need my roots too!