Monday, April 14, 2008

Feelin' Revived

So today I went to my old church for the first time in a very long time. I'm visiting the area, and was really excited to be able to see everyone again. I was also really happy to hear Travis (an old pal from Vespers) giving the sermon, and really liked what he had to say. I definitely agreed with everything he had to say.

Part of what he talked about was judging. Who are we to judge others? Christ loves everyone, even those who don't believe. How can we judge them differently? How can we look at someone walking down the street, see multiple tattoos, piercings, maybe even drugs, and judge that person? Does God judge him? No. God loves him. God has a place in Heaven for him, just like me and you. Is it right to judge him? Absolutely not. Do we? Always. We judge people whether we know it or not. We judge clothes, we judge decisions people make. Should we do this? Lets look to the bible for that answer.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judge. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:1-2

Lets think about this. Here, in plain words, we are told "Do not judge." That's the apparent answer. These verses also tell us that if we do judge (which all humans do) we too are judged. Do we like that? I for one don't like being judged.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:3-5

I really love those verses. It makes complete sense. Sure, this man you see and judge may need help, but look at yourself. Do you sin? Yes. Is there ways you can help yourself before helping him? Definitely. You aren't perfect, just like he isn't.

Do we have any place to judge someone God loves so much?

Sometimes I forget to think about this, to look to what the bible says. Sometimes I judge others. Who doesn't? Sometimes it takes reminders from others, from God. Sometimes you need to take a step back in order realize that what you're doing is indeed wrong.

Thank you, God, for reminding me through Travis.

No comments: