Saturday, June 28, 2008

.turn on the lights.

You never really know who you're going to meet, you know? You could be at the park, and meet a stranger that somehow affects the rest of your day. The rest of your life. You could be eating out, and find out that the tourist next to you went to school with your parents.

For me, it happened at work.

I met someone at work today that didn't necessarily change my life, but he definitely affected the rest of my day. He made it really exciting, and made me happy. I don't think he knows, but he did.

I meet a lot of people at work, of course, but sometimes it's interesting to just sit in the breakroom and see what kind of people you come across. That's kind of what happened here. I was in the breakroom, and I didn't know it when I sat down, but I had walked into a room full of Christians. It was amazing. I was able to talk and listen about something that means a lot to me. I had always been afraid to at work, which made me feel guilty, which made me try to not think about it, which kept me from talking about it.. It was a vicious circle and they helped break me from it. I was so happy.. It turns out he also knows my godparents as well.

Other than that happening today, all I've been doing is WORK. Steve fell pretty ill recently, and I've been covering his shifts. Hopefully he'll be able to have surgery soon, and will be back to work before we know it! I really miss working with him.

Basically I'm working 40 hours a week. Normally, at NORMAL places, that would be considered full time, right? Not for me. Because I was labelled as "part time" when I started working, it doesn't matter how many hours I work. I'm still part time. I don't get vacation time, I don't get holiday pay. Nothing. It kind of frustrates me, but I'm getting over it.

Just a quick update for now :-)

2 comments:

Emily Dorchak said...

ironic.. lolol.
i hope ur co-worker gets well soon!
what does he have?

i am part time too.
but im going to ask for some full time days at the end of this week. im happy about that. =3
sha. so yeah.. good luck trying to get holidays and stuff!
lol
*hug

13Secrets said...

Oy, hey Kirsten. Just letting you know that I wrote a blog post on "A Beautiful World" as well as put a link at "My Move to Hawaii".
I love you and miss you.... and wish we could all be at NMU again, sitting in the lobby and going up to His House, and lounging at Starbucks... There is no school like Northern! :)
I am actually planning on sending both you AND krystal a gift sometime soon, whenever I remember to take care of it....